The Tertiary Education Student Assistance Scheme (TESAS) provides financial assistance from the Government of PNG to eligible students of targeted tertiary education programs on a merit basis.
TESAS includes financial assistance for study costs, such as tuition fees, board and lodgings, travel, and student resources. Currently, TESAS also includes a supplementary fortnightly allowance.
TESAS Awards are offered for one year of study only. Awardees who study programs longer than one year are automatically considered on a merit basis for another TESAS Award for their continuing studies in the following year.
Eligibility for Consideration of a TESAS Award
To be eligible for consideration for a TESAS Awards, applicants must:
- Be a Papua New Guinean citizen;
- Intend to study full-time and on-campus;
- Be able to satisfy the admission requirements of an institution or a program for an institution approved for TESAS Awards of which they are applying;
- Not hold another scholarship that duplicates any of the TESAS Award benefits,
- Not have been previously excluded from a tertiary institution on academic or disciplinary grounds within the last two years;
- Not have accumulated any criminal record within the last two years; and
- Not have had a TESAS Award terminated within the last two years.
- If previously held a TESAS Award to complete an undergraduate qualification and intend to undertake another undergraduate qualification, be able to demonstrate an employment record for at least three years after completing the first qualification.
TESAS Award Categories
Academic Excellence Scholarships (AES)
This undergraduate Scholarship is awarded to:
- High-achieving Grade 12 School Leavers who have been admitted in to a university undergraduate program approved for TESAS awards; and
- Continuing undergraduate students, both TESAS and fee-paying, who have completed their previous year in an approved university program and attained excellent academic results.
The annual total number of AES awarded and the required minimum GPA level to receive an AES are calculated at selection time each year in accordance with available funding and application numbers and quality.
Awardees are selected within program quotas on a merit basis. This means that not all applicants with a qualifying GPA level receive an award.
Higher Education Contribution Assistance Scheme (HECAS)
This Contribution Assistance is awarded to:
- Grade 12 School Leavers who have been admitted in to an undergraduate program at a university or college approved for TESAS awards and have attained the qualifying minimum GPA level or above; and
- Continuing undergraduate students both TESAS and fee-paying, who have completed their previous year in an approved program at a university or college and have attained the qualifying minimum GPA level or above.
The number of applications for TESAS Awards with qualifying minimum GPA level is typically greater than the number of available TESAS Awards. As such, Awardees are selected within program quotas on a merit basis. This means that not all applicants with a qualifying GPA level receive an award.
How to apply for this Scholarship
There is no application for this scholarship. Students automatically qualify for this scholarship after Grade 12 if they meet the GPA requirement and selected for tertiary studies. Continuing students must also maintain the required GPA or else they will loose the scholarship. However, some students can be selected to tertiary institutions but if they fail to meet GPA requirements, this scholarship does cover the costs while study at that particular institution.